Lotoo PAW S1 Portable USB DAC & Amplifier
Lotoo PAW S1 Premium Portable USB Type C DAC & Amp with Balance 4.4 & 3.5 Output
The Lotoo PAW S1 is a new hi-res integrated portable amplifier and DAC dongle featuring PMEQ and up to PCM 32/384 and DSD 128 decoding.
The all-new PAW S1, featuring Lotoo’s advanced DAP architecture from the PAW Lineup, has been created to raise the bar to previously unknown heights in the field of Portable USB DACs. Much more than a rocket in your pocket, the PAW S1 is the revolutionary game-changer that will ignite your Multi-Media Entertainment experience like never before! The S1 comes with plug-and-play installation for a hassle-free setup that turns your smartphone into a high-resolution music player!
Known for its top-of-the-line DAPs, Lotoo decided to add a DAC-Amp to its PAW Line-up to satisfy the needs of ultra-portable audio lovers. It goes way beyond the conventional boundaries of the performance a DAC is expected to have. At a fraction of a cost of its prestigious DAP siblings, what Lotoo introduces to the market is a pocket powerhouse built upon the same DNA as the rest of the PAW family line. The PAW S1 uses the same architecture Lotoo employs in its DAPs (namely PAW Gold Touch and PAW6000), so you can consider it to be an ultra-small DAP without storage.
Why isn’t the PAW S1 just another dongle-style USB DAC?
Here are 10 reasons why the PAW S1 is a truly game-changing technological marvel:
- High-Performance and High DAC Chip Utilization: If we take a closer look at the audio specs, the background noise for the S1 measures just -118dBu, a performance superior to that of most high-priced DAPs. It’s the same for the THD+N of the PAW S1, which, at -108dB (0.0004%), again makes it the winner over most expensive DAPs in the market and easily outperforms most USB dongle DACs. Once more, this is close to the datasheet value of the DAC chip which is -109 dB. Lotoo’s engineering team have striven to extract every bit of the AKM4377 DAC chip’s capacity, leaving nothing wasted in order to ensure the highest possible performance from the class-leading hardware we use.
- Standalone Headphone Amp: The output power of an amp-embedded dongle DAC is good enough to drive IEMs, but if used for headphones extra power is usually required. Currently available dongle DACs cannot afford to invest in a built-in amp due to cost and power restrictions. The PAW S1 boasts a standalone amp chip (OPA1622) that provides higher power (up to 120mw per channel on 4.4mm output) and better performance.
- The 4.4 Balanced & 3.5 Single-Ended Dual Outputs: Lotoo’s R&D team has taken the innovative step of implementing a 4.4 & 3.5mm dual-output design, which is the first to be seen in a dongle-style USB DAC; a bold move to upgrade the DAC and raise the bar for the whole market. We use the Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced connector, which yields better separation and a grander soundstage. It has achieved widespread popularity in the market. Therefore, Lotoo has decided to add the 4.4mm socket to create a 3.5 & 4.4 dual-output design to make this portable DAC really stand head and shoulders above the rest.
- 120mW@32Ω: 120mW@32Ω (per channel) is what makes the S1 a great companion even for over-the-ear headphones as well as IEMs. 120mW works great for headphones with 32-ohm impedance. To drive IEMs, it is sufficient to have only 5mW and so the S1 has abundant power to spare.
- Multiple OS: Supported Like most similar products in the market, the S1 does not require any drivers to be installed. It supports plug and play on PC and Mac without any hassle. However, not all products in the market can support iOS (or both iOS and Android) due to the fact that iOS is more demanding in terms of power and compatibility. It is rare to find a dongle-sized DAC like the PAW S1 that supports not only multiple OS but also both Android and iOS.
- Built-In Studio Quality: PMEQ/ATE The critically acclaimed PMEQ/ATE, unique to Lotoo’s Top-Of-The-Line DAPs, is proudly included in the PAW S1. Try this feature with your favourite music, game or even movie, and lose yourself in the immersive soundstage, precise imaging and jaw-dropping detail!The newly developed ATE pre-sets, “GAME” and “MOVIE”, will wow PAW S1 users with an unprecedented multimedia experience that has never before been seen on a portable Hi-Fi gadget.
- Gain Control: Lotoo provides a high/low gain control in the PAW S1 primarily with a safer listening experience in mind. By simply pressing the Fn key to adjust it, this feature helps to accommodate a wider range of headphones and IEMs.
- Pure Black Background: When listening to your music, every note will stand out like diamonds against black velvet and the silences in and between songs will be profound due to the ultra-low noise floor of the PAW S1.
- OLED Screen: The display screen allows more information to be conveyed, along with easier, smoother and more intuitive operation.
- The Build and Ergonomics: Employing the same high standards of craftsmanship used in creating the PAW DAPs, the Aluminum Alloy Body of the PAW S1 also utilises the same CNC machining technology to produce the body of the S1 from a single solid alloy block!